On his first day in office, President Joe Biden has signed 17 executive orders, memorandums, and requests, nine of which directly reverse Donald Trump’s policies, a head start that sets off an aggressive push to undo many of the more destructive policies from the past four years in the coming days and weeks.
Despite an inaugural address that called for unity and compromise, Biden’s first actions as president are sharply aimed at sweeping aside former President Donald J. Trump’s pandemic response, reversing his environmental agenda, tearing down his anti-immigration policies, bolstering the teetering economic recovery, and restoring federal efforts to promote diversity.
Here is a list of President Biden 17 Executive Orders:
- Launches a “100 Days Masking Challenge” asking Americans to wear masks for 100 days. Requires masks and physical distancing in federal buildings, on federal lands, and by government contractors, and urges states and local governments to do the same.
- Stops the United States’ withdrawal from the World Health Organization, with Dr Anthony Fauci becoming the head of the delegation to the WHO.
- Creates the position of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Coordinator, reporting directly to Biden and managing efforts to produce and distribute vaccines and medical equipment.
- Extends the existing nationwide moratorium on evictions and foreclosures until at least 31 March.
- Extends the existing pause on student loan payments and interest for Americans with federal student loans until at least 30 September.
- Rejoins the Paris climate accord, a process that will take 30 days.
- Cancels the Keystone XL pipeline and directs agencies to review and reverse more than 100 Trump actions on the environment.
- Rescinds the Trump administration’s 1776 Commission, directs agencies to review their actions to ensure racial equity.
- Prevents workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Requires non-citizens to be included in the Census and apportionment of congressional representatives.
- Fortifies DACA after Trump’s efforts to undo protections for undocumented people brought into the country as children.
- Reverses the Trump administration’s restrictions on US entry for passport holders from seven Muslim-majority countries.
- Undoes Trump’s expansion of immigration enforcement within the United States.
- Halts construction of the border wall by terminating the national emergency declaration used to fund it.
- Extends deferrals of deportation and work authorizations for Liberians with a safe haven in the United States until 30 June 2022.
- Requires executive branch appointees to sign an ethics pledge barring them from acting in personal interest and requiring them to uphold the independence of the Department of Justice.
- Directs OMB director to develop recommendations to modernize regulatory review and undoes Trump’s regulatory approval process.