The Queen is reportedly backing Prince William after he insisted the royals were “very much not a racist family”.
According to BBC, they have ordered a new documentary that is set to explore the relationship Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have with the media, following the couple’s explosive tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey.
The new docu-series will focus on both Harry and Meghan, Prince William, and Kate Middleton as it delves into how the relationships both Royal couples have with the media have taken different courses over the years.
William became the first senior Royal to speak out following Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s explosive on Oprah’s interview.
Palace insiders told the Daily Mail that the 38-year-old had done “very well given the emotion and enormity of it all”.
According to the paper, Buckingham Palace and Clarence Home the official homes of the Queen and Prince Charles were both supportive of William’s intervention.
Kate and William are said to be deeply upset by the Oprah interview in which Meghan accused an unnamed family member of raising concerns over her unborn baby’s skin tone.
The stoic Queen released a carefully-worded statement on Tuesday evening saying she was “saddened” by the interview but “recollections may vary”.
Prince William went further Thursday as Meghan’s claims of racism in the Royal Family were put to him.
He told the waiting press the royals are “very much not a racist family” as he and Kate arrived.
Asked if he’d spoken to his brother or sister-in-law since the chat aired, he replied: “No, I haven’t spoken to him yet… but I will do.”
Meghan claimed that a senior royal raised concern about Archie being “too brown” was the most damaging allegation to come out of the broadcast.
But William battled back as he and Kate cheered school children back in classes this week on a trip to School 21 in Stratford, east London.
Thursday’s trip was also to support a mental health project for pupils which Kate launched in primary schools in 2018.
During the chat, the couple made a series of allegations against the Royal Family including that Meghan had been left in tears by Kate over the flower girl dresses in the lead up to the Royal Wedding.
And while Meghan said she had forgiven Kate, The Times claimed on Monday that the 39-year-old slammed the door in her sister-in-law’s face when she took flowers to Nottingham Cottage the Sussex’s home at the time.
Meghan also broke down in tears as she revealed she told her husband she “didn’t want to be alive anymore” and had suicidal thoughts.
The Duchess said she begged for help from the Firm but it was her husband who “saved” her.
Meghan also told Oprah there had been conversations with Prince Harry and a “family” member about their unborn son and what colour his skin would be – and “what that would mean or look like”.
Oprah later revealed the senior royal who made the comments wasn’t either the Queen or Prince Philip, who currently remains in hospital after undergoing heart surgery.
The chat show queen told CBS This Morning that she’d asked Harry about who had said it adding: “He did not share the identity with me but he wanted to make sure I knew, and if I had an opportunity to share it, that it was not his grandmother or grandfather that were part of those conversations.
“He did not tell me who was a part of those conversations.”
Almost two days after the interview aired, the Queen addressed the allegations with a public statement, which read: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.
“Harry, Meghan, and Archie will always be much-loved family members.”
It’s understood the monarch has now taken control of the situation and will reach out to Meghan and Harry personally.
But William is said to be “beyond livid” by the interview.
During the chat, Harry said he feels let down by his family – and is barely speaking to his brother, describing their relationship now as “space”.
He claimed his father Charles stopped taking his calls after Megxit and was financially cut off by the Royal Family last year.
The Duke said there was a “lot of hurt” between him and his dad – but insisted he had not “blindsided” the Queen when announcing he and Meghan were stepping back as senior working royals.
He also discussed his relationship with William, saying he loved him “to bits” but he and the future king were “on different paths”.
But he said he believes William and Charles are “trapped” by the monarchy.
The 36-year-old dad said: “I myself was trapped as well, I didn’t see a way out.
“I was trapped but I didn’t know I was trapped. My father and my brother – they are trapped. They don’t get to leave and I have huge compassion for that.”
On Tuesday, Prince Charles was asked about the interview as he was seen for the first time since it aired.
When asked by a reporter what he thought of the chat, Charles, who was visiting an NHS vaccine centre in London, gave a nervous chuckle and carried on walking.
But according to a friend of the prince, Charles was “in a state of despair” before the conversation was screened, Vanity Fair reports.
A BBC spokesperson told Metro.co.uk the series will be made up of two one-hour long episodes that will air on BBC Two and will be accompanied by a Radio four podcast for BBC Sounds.
Little is known about the doc, which is yet to be given a title, but it will be fronted by BBC’s Media Editor and broadcaster Amol Rajan.
Speaking about the series, Rajan has said: ‘Our deep, extensive reporting on the Royals has uncovered some remarkable stories on a subject of global and growing fascination.’
It will see him explore the interactions between Harry and Meghan and William and Kate with the media over the years and he will meet with the journalists behind the stories – with the series recording 50-hours worth of interviews over several months during filming.
It comes as the Royal family is the hot topic of conversation after Harry and Meghan shared their experiences of the Palace and the reasons behind their decision to move to the US in a two-hour long chat with Oprah.
The no-holds-barred interview first aired on CBS over in the US, before landing on ITV for British viewers to tune in.
During the emotional episode, viewers watched on as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex discussed the pressures they faced as working members of the Royal family and Harry touched on the breakdown of his relationship with his father Prince Charles.
Meghan addressed feeling ‘betrayed’ by her father Thomas Markle, after he spoke about her to the media, and heartbreakingly revealed that she had considered taking her own life following abuse she received after joining the Royal family.
Meghan also claimed that she had experienced racism within the Palace. The revelations left viewers divided and BBC Breakfast star Naga Munchetty was seen throwing her support behind Harry and Meghan for speaking out and refusing to stay silent.
Piers Morgan, who has been a staunch critic of the couple, however, came under fire for stating that he ‘didn’t believe’ Meghan’s claims and declaring on Good Morning Britain that he was ‘sickened’ by what he had watched.
It led to an on-air clash with his GMB co-star Alex Beresford and after storming off set, Piers later announced his shock decision to quit Good Morning Britain.
It was later claimed that Meghan had lodged a formal complaint with ITV as she was concerned how Piers’ comments which generated over 41,000 complaints with Ofcom would affect the general issue of mental health and those who are struggling.