Jubilation as power is restored in Borno after 2-month blackout (Videos)

0
29

The entire city of Maiduguri, yesterday, was thrown into a frenzy and wild jubilation after electricity returned to the town two months after Boko Haram destroyed the transmission lines, putting the whole state in total darkness.

Although Maiduguri, the epicenter of the Boko Haram insurgency has not been enjoying a constant electricity supply since the conflict began in 2009, the few hours of electricity they have in a day meant a lot to the people.

In a video seen by Neptune Prime, little children and students of the University of Maiduguri, who were lamenting the power outage last month were seen shouting “NEPA Oyoyo” while running around the street describing the relief.

Residents, also commending the effort and commitment shown by the staff of the Transmission Company of Nigeria, the military, and Borno Government in restoring the light on Thursday said, it would not have been possible without the drive from the men who put their lives on the line to ensure electricity is back in the city.

“All the electricity staff who worked on the line, both living and dead, deserve commendation, alongside the soldiers providing them security during the work. They even encountered a bomb attack while working to restore the light.

“Our Governor, Babagana Zulum, also deserves special commendation for his contribution to ensure that we get light,” one of the residents, Ibrahim Abubakar told newsmen in Maiduguri.

Another resident, Sadisu Mohammed said, “We really suffered without light in view of the hot weather. We were worried even as the rainy season is setting in. The heat in the night, mosquitoes, and the high cost of fuel to power our small generators is telling on many families and the Ramadan fasting is also coming.”

Confirming the restoration of electricity in the city, the Corporate Communication Manager of the Yola Electricity Distribution Company (YEDC), in charge of Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, and Taraba States, Mr Kingsley Nkemneme, said since the incident on 29 January all stakeholders had been working to address the problem.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here